Thursday, November 9, 2017

International Travel Assistance Fund--Call for Applications (and potential for support from the College)


The Office of Global Engagement (OGE) has announced that it is time to submit applications for the International Travel Assistance Fund for 2017. As they note on their website, "International Affairs supports faculty and staff through an annual fund that provides $1,000 travel awards to encourage global engagement."

My office will match up to $1000 any college faculty member who applies for and receives this funding, provided that the project for which they are funded advances research and scholarship.



My office will also consider, on a competitive basis, funding faculty who apply but are not funded by the OGE. The maximum amount of funding we will supply is $1000; depending on demand for funds, the typical award may be less than this amount. I do not know how many such awards we will make; this will depend on funds available.

While staff may apply for this funding and are encouraged to do so, I will not fund staff proposals under this program.

Furthermore, I am unlikely to fund applications where the project activities are listed as "Study Abroad/Student Exchange," "Academic Degree/Certificate Development," or the like. I strongly encourage faculty to apply to OGE to fund such projects. But any funding my office provides will be to promote research and scholarship.

The OGE deadline is December 1, 2017.

To apply to the OGE, see the instructions on the bottom of the page at https://global.ncsu.edu/travel-fund/

When you submit your application to the OGE, also send a copy to me if you wish to be considered for college funding--tabirkla@ncsu.edu. You may also want to explain the scholarly significance of the work that OIA or College funding will support. In fairness to all applicants, I will only fund applications that are submitted by December 1,  and I will not fund proposals that were submitted to OGE but were not submitted to me at the same time is the primary program for supporting international travel at the college level, so please do consider applying.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tom