Sunday, October 7, 2012

Call for applications: registration fees for the Digital Humanities Summer Institute, University of Victoria

The CHASS research office has committed to fund CHASS's cosponsorship of the 2013 Digital Humanities Summer Institute in Victoria, BC, which will be held from June 6-13, 2013. Everything I've heard about this meeting from our colleagues in DH here suggest that this is an excellent workshop, and I am strongly persuaded that this is a sound use of our resources. The Institute's website is http://dhsi.org

Our $2500 registration fee entitles us to five registrations for the conference. I am willing to fund two more for a total of seven participants.

This call is for informal applications from those interested in attending this workshop and having my office cover your $300 registration fee.

The deadline for your application for this support is November 15, 2012. I will make decisions on whom I will support by November 30.

To apply, simply send me an email message explaining why you would like to attend this workshop, and how it would benefit you and your department in the research and teaching realms. Please attach your CV to the note. Please also explain how you would fund your travel to the Institute. I may be able to provide some support for some participants to travel, but do not yet know whether my budget will allow this. Here are possible sources of funds:

* If you have a research grant or fellowship and the terms of the grant or fellowship would cover the travel expenses, you may want to use this option.

* You may be able to use departmental travel resources to fund at least part of your travel.

* For faculty, you could apply for travel funding through the Scholarly Research Award process, details of which are available at this blog or at the CHASS research page.

* For graduate students, there are funds available for graduate students to travel from the Association for Computers in Humanities (ACH, website linked to http://dhsi.org/scholarships.php)

To be clear, I may have some resources to support travel, but I would like you to ask for partial support from your department or from other sources; I may be able to supplement travel funding pending review of applications.

As you can see, this application process is informal, but if we have more interest than funding, we will work to ensure that we support an appropriate mix of junior and senior scholars, disciplines, and the like.

As usual, feel free to contact me with your questions and comments.